Emmalee's Self Identity

 

I am Emmalee Stubbs and this is what makes me who I am. I am a first generation college student who is very family oriented and loves to be with friends. Being a first generation students makes me hard on myself to keep going. I have been with my fiancé for almost 5 years this July and have been engaged for a year and a half. I have the sweetest dog who is 4 years old and will eventually get another Pitbull puppy with my fiancé. I work in a church nursery that provides we with skills for my future teaching career and I absolutely love working there. I come from a big family that keeps growing every year. Swim and dance made me embody teamwork and strength. In high school I was able to have the opportunities to have extracurricular activities like the reading On Spotlighting and Ignoring Racial Group Members in the Classroom by Dorinda J. Carter states some schools have. Everything I have listed is where I get my identity from. If I didn't have my family, friends, jobs, school, pets, and sports I wouldn't be the person I am today. 

I believe that I have more than one identity. To some I am a teacher and to others I am a daughter. My identities can be anything and everything. I have an identity as a pet mom, a swimmer,  dancer, a co-worker, a fiancé, and so many other things that others may not even see. Individuals can see my identity as a daughter, dog mom, fiancé, swimmer, teacher, dancer, sister, and friend. Something they might not see when looking at me is my identity as a hard worker, first generation student, persistent, monolingual English but trying to learn Spanish, and Christian. Each of these things still make me into who I am, but when people look at me they may not know it off the top of their head. 

My identity is different from others, but that is what makes me different and unique. I love my many identities and I know they will continue to grow, change and expand as I get older!


Work Cited

Carter, D. J. (2008). On spotlighting and ignoring racial group members in the classroom. In M. Pollock (Ed.), Everyday antiracism: Getting real about race in school (pp.230-234). New York, NY: The New Press.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anti-Racism Picture Book

Reflection on "Using picture books to explore Identity, stereotyping, and discrimination" Lesson Plan

Effectiveness on Teaching Ideas and Picture Books