Reflection on "Using picture books to explore Identity, stereotyping, and discrimination" Lesson Plan

 When I first looked at the Lesson Plan, I felt a bit overwhelmed because I was unsure of what to do, but as I explored it my feelings changed. The first thing that I noticed was how it included the fact that "Picture books can enhance content for learners of any age" (From Theory to Practice Section). I felt like this was extremally important to include because many individuals think that it is inappropriate to have picture books in higher education levels. 

I believe that this lesson plan does address the objectives stated in the plan. It address the first concept by having a group discussion of what identity, stereotyping, and discrimination is and then goes to define concepts. This then goes into the concepts of each of the three words. As the days go on they continue to build on these concepts, which is great! Incorporating the three books allows for students to hit the two objectives of "Apply this knowledge by identifying examples of these concepts in stories and real life" and "Practice analysis by identifying elements of characters' identity; by looking at stereotypes and why people hold them; and by speculating on what some of the causes of discrimination are." After reading the books students also answer questions, which allow them to understand what happened and why it happened in the books. Doing this helps the teacher make sure to meet the objectives. The students use multiple charts and strategies to get their argument across which meets the final objectives. Overall, this plan has a concrete way to meet the proper objectives! I know that when I was in school I never understood how teachers met the objective because they didn't have a good plan, which caused us to miss objectives, but that is not the case here. 

Having the books allows for students to reflect on and challenge stereotypes. For instance, in session 5 after reading I Can Hear the Sun by Patricia Polacco the previous day that are asked the question "How might other people stereotype Fondo?" and "What is Fondo like? How is he different?" This allows for students to think reflect how he was stereotyped and why. Plus, having them see in what other ways individuals may stereotype him. This all relies on the reflection's of stereotyping because it requires them to remember the story form the prior session and think back on how he was treated and why. A  way that this lesson allows for the students to challenge stereotyping is in session 6 with the question "What did they learn from each other about differences?" This allows for the students to look at how others are different and to love them for not degrade or be rude them for it. They are challenging the fact that stereotypes are just differences and having them explain the learning aspect of these differences. By having these aspects it lets student think about their actions and their words. For instance, a stereotype is "American Asians are great in math" (Video), after doing this, students may realize that is not necessarily true and it hurts peoples feeling by stereotyping them based on their race. Students can make smarter actions and challenge all of these myths due to this lesson plan. 

Something that I love about this lesson is that it lets you select the state that you are teaching in. I loved this because different states have different expectations/ standards that you need to teach, so this ensures that you can teach using this lesson plan while also hitting your state standards! I love that it also shows you what standards it meets, so that you don't have to search for them (State Standards Section)! I love that this lesson plan gives you a list of the materials and books that work best while also linking the printouts we can use. Linking the printouts allows you as a teacher to not have to search or recreate an assignment that you like and want to use. I love that this lesson plan takes multiple days and they use many different aspects of teaching. For instance they use technology and the normal worksheet. I feel like this is good because it switches it up for the students so that they are engaging in multiple ways of earning. This also allows for them to not get bored. 

Something that I would add is the video from the Explore section "Disabusing stereotyping". I feel like this would show a way that stereotyping occurs in schools every single day around them. I feel like this would allow connections to be made based on personal or social experiences. Other than incorporating this, I feel like this lesson plan was amazing!

Overall, this lesson plan covers many aspects and encourages learning in many different ways. I would definitely use this lesson plan in my future classroom! 


Comments

  1. Hello Emmalee,
    Just like you I also felt overwhelmed when I was reading this lesson plan but after reading it again, I understand what the teacher wants to bring to the table. I also love how you want to incorporate a picture book to a higher grade level. I feel like have a picture book can help older student connect with the author and lesson. This lesson can also help student understand others and maybe themselves. I'm a huge advocate of being who you are and embracing who you are and loving the skin you were born with. I really like this lesson and I would love to teach this lesson to my future students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love myself a good lesson plan with GOOD reflections for the students. Let's be honest, a lot of students wont reflect on the novel unless they are forced to. Especially with literature that gives life lessons. They may realize it when they are older down the road, but making students stop and think about what they are reading is so important. Especially with a lot of the COVID babies out there, reading comprehension is lacking, so it is important to keep enforcing them to think about and analyze literature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Emmalee, I really like how you described the benefits of the lesson regarding stereotyping. Starting with a group discussion gets the students really thinking about what their previous knowledge is then they can reflect and discuss after they read the book. It's important to introduce these topics where the students answer questions before and after the lesson, and they should have the opportunity to ask questions as well. Overall, great points and post! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Anti-Racism Picture Book

Effectiveness on Teaching Ideas and Picture Books